Monday, December 2, 2013

A day in the life of a clinical director of forensic psychiatry

An interview with Mark Earthrowl, from the guardian's 'Day in the Life of' series:

My day begins with a 6.30am rise, when the chaos of a typical morning sets in thanks to our three young boys and hyperactive dog. I wake up to Radio 4 – it's always enjoyable to hear someone getting a roasting from John Humphrys. My commute to work is only a short trip through rural Norfolk; the scenery on my journey contrasts with that of New Zealand, where I recently worked for several years, navigating the aftermath of an earthquake and the tension caused by daily earth tremors.

I normally reach my desk by 8.30am and, as with many roles in the health sector, each day is different. I have an early meeting with the team to go over the previous day's events. As a team, we formally review patients' care plans on a weekly basis, but mornings see me touring the wards, engaging with patients and making assessments.

Lunch is generally snatched at my desk, or not at all: an unhealthy habit but a time-saving one. By that point, if I've caught up on my clinical duties, I will address the managerial aspects of my role which include the strategic development of the service, quality control, governance and liaison with stakeholders including our regulators and commissioners, the patients' local services and their families.

Read the rest of Mark's interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment