Monday, February 25, 2013

Criminal justice, mental health systems working for offenders, but not victims of crime

It was 4 o’clock in the morning. There was a tremendous noise coming from our front door. I jumped out of bed and saw a dark shadowed figure smashing my stained glass front door with a two-by-four from the wooden post of my neighbor’s mailbox.

I immediately told my wife to call 911, and I took a flashlight and my legally owned pistol and cautiously approached this wild individual. I shined the flashlight in his face and shouted, “You better get out of here or I’ll kill you.” Upon having that and seeing my pistol, he dropped the two-by-four and ran away.

I believe if I was not armed my wife and I would have been seriously injured or killed. The pistol saving us is the positive part of the story. The tragic part of this story is the criminal justice and mental system breakdown.

The police, upon arriving at my house, had this individual in the back of their cruiser. They had picked up this individual in our gated community. My wife was so devastated it took more than a year of special counseling to return to what may be called normal. The story does not end here.

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment